It will be the responsibility and duty of the user of this document to comply with all applicable copyright laws. With no limitation on rights covered under the 2-plan Desktop's software copyright, this document (in full or in part) shall not be reproduced, archived or stored in a database or other retrieval systems, transmitted in any form (physical or electronic) through any means (internet/ emails, photocopy, recording, copying, etc.) for any reason/purpose without securing an explicit, written permission from 2-plan GmbH.
2-plan GmbH might have trademarks, patents (or patent applications), or any other IP (intellectual property) or copyrights that cover the information supplied in this document. Unless it is expressly provided in the form of a written license agreement from 2-plan GmbH, providing this document does not entitle you to any license to these trademarks, patents, copyrights, or other intellectual property.
All rights reserved. The names of actual companies and products mentioned in this document are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Put simply, 2-plan Desktop is a project scheduling management and planning tool. It facilitates project planning and progress tracking to increase the productivity of project managers and save them time for people and project management activities. And while there are various project management tools available, some very fancy and some that lack in functionality, 2-plan Desktop is aimed to keep it simple without doing away with any essential functionality.
Let’s now explore 2-plan Desktop in depth and detail.
What is 2-plan Desktop?
2-plan Desktop is a project scheduling management and planning tool that is based on the Rich Client Platform (RCP). It consists of a free core system which expands in features and functionality through its extensions or plug-ins. Some extensions are free while some are for sale.
The primary goal for 2-plan Desktop is an intuitive tool that provides all the functionalities that a project manager actually requires. Likewise, it also accommodates other users such as marketing staff, students or university professors who might need a project management tool to generate visual representations for project-related purposes.
2-plan Desktop's basic system has 3 project types – Manual, Effort-Driven and Fixed Duration.
Manual projects are useful for people who just want to create visual representations of project plans for use in presentations, brainstorming, theoretical discussions, ballpark estimates, etc. Effort-Driven projects are useful for creating a project WBS and schedule an actual project for execution. Fixed-Duration projects are required when your prime focus is on completing a project within a specific time-frame.
Besides task management, resource management and reporting features, 2-plan Desktop has also attached a lot of importance to usability and productivity enhancement. You can easily create your project WBS (top-down or bottom-up), balance resources, get status and do a lot more. There are views, perspectives, drag-and-drop functions, templates, copy-paste and other features that make 2-plan Desktop easy and intuitive to use.
Add-ons provide additional functionalities to the core application such as: Risk Management, Change Management, Database Persistence Layer, new Import/Export Wizards, Additional Views and Reports, and so on. There are also plans to introduce scrum tools and many other functionalities in the future releases of 2-plan Desktop.
What’s different in 2-plan Desktop?
2-plan Desktop is designed as a balanced PM software. It provides essential project management functionalities and at the same time, it considers enhanced usability. Let’s take a look at some of its distinguishing features:
- Unlike other project management tools, you can configure 2-plan Desktop at the onset of a project. Both top-down and bottom-up planning approaches are possible. Here, you can estimate expenses and make a schedule at the beginning. 2-plan Desktop lets you you work with effort/cost or duration, as you need these. So, 2-plan doesn’t auto-adjust the resource-allocation/cost/duration. Instead, it makes adjustments depending on the type of work package and when you explicitly tell it to do so (by clicking on ‘Schedule Workpackages’).
- Tools such as OpenProj and MS Project usually have a table view as their primary display. By double-clicking on any of the work packages a dialogue is opened in which all the data is entered. In 2-plan Desktop, there are various views available and a view can be placed anywhere but still remains visible. The editor's content changes according to what the user has selected in the Project Explorer.
- There are various perspectives that are mapped to various project management activities such as Planning or Project Controls. Hence, project managers can see all related project objects together at one place. Moreover, project managers can customize and create their own perspective (an arrangement of views); thus providing greater flexibility than other tools.
- Through various add-ons/plug-ins/extensions, you can add features like mind maps, risk management, web collaboration connectivity and others.
- 2-plan Desktop recognizes Manual, Effort-Driven and Fixed Duration projects. More project types like Scrum will be supported in future releases. 2-plan Desktop allows users to create the right project type for their purpose.
- Its template feature allows the creation of standard project plan templates for similar work packages, projects, teams, persons, etc. You can copy-paste these in new projects to quickly create your project plan.
- Update mechanism is available through which users can easily get the updates for their product.
Whom is it meant for?
2-plan Desktop is primarily meant for managers to plan, schedule and track their projects/tasks/programs comprehensively. 2-plan Desktop is also meant for other users (including sales and pre-sales teams) who just want a visual representation of schedules and tasks for inclusion in their presentations.
Anyone and everyone who needs to plan, schedule and track activities or tasks can use 2-plan Desktop. Home users can also use their 2-plan Desktop for DIY projects or other personal projects that require subcontractors or specialists.
What platforms are supported?
You can use 2-plan Desktop on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. These versions are supported. We also have builds for operating systems like HP UX, Solaris and others.